June Recommendations

What to Read Next?

If you have enjoyed any of the reviews over the past month to go on and read the book, and are now wondering 'what next?', here are some follow-on recommendations that will keep your To Be Read shelf fully stocked.


You Don't Know Me by Imran Mahmood

The Runaway Jury by John Grisham -- The ultimate courtroom drama!  Try this if you enjoyed the more procedural elements, and the tricks that can be used to try and get a jury on side.

Filth by Irvine Welsh -- If you want to look into the seedy underbelly, the part of the city a tourist won't see, you can't go much better than any Irvine Welsh.  I've gone with Filth for the crime element.

The Green Mile by Stephen King -- It's quite a different book tonally, but is still the story of men facing the worst that the justice system can offer.


Bird Box by Josh Malerman

The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell -- More creeping suspense and tricks from the corners of eyes.  I read these two close together, as you can see, and was impressed to have such an excellent horror month!

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham -- Story-wise, this is the closest match I could make.  Two people remain sighted in a world where everyone else has gone blind.

The Fireman by Joe Hill -- This one is another apocalyptic story where a small community are forced together.  Paranoia about traitors and 'security' escalation abound.


The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

This one didn't get an AMM review, because I was so disappointed in it.  The Blind Assassin was like my Everest, but reaching the peak left me quite disappointed.  I couldn't stand to give Margaret Atwood a bad review, so I quietly swept it under the carpet.  But, I can still make recommendations...

Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel -- Like The blind Assassin, a really beautifully written book with interesting characters, but nothing really happens.

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters -- This one picks up on the clandestine relationships, the affairs, the sadness in unhappy partnerships.

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield -- Another tale about the awkward bond between sisters, part love and part hate.


The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters -- Of all the many books I've read about creepy haunted old houses, this is my favourite.  Accept no substitutes!

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory -- A little earlier in terms of setting, but for ye olde witchcraft this is a pretty good read.

Alice by Christina Henry -- I will put a disclaimer on this rec that I didn't actually like the book and didn't finish it.  I gave it to a friend who enjoyed it immensely.  This is for the people who enjoyed the sojourn in the asylum.

Comments

Popular Posts